Monday, February 14, 2005

Why is gossip fair game? Why is Michael Jackson?

Ace thinks a nasty rumor about Eason Jordan is not fit for circulation. I agree but I would take it further. Is it appropriate to broadcast the sordid details of Michael Jackson, Kobe Bryant, O.J. Simpson, or Scott Peterson? I have yet to meet anyone who really needs to know what's going on in a celebrity trial. It's voyeurism and it's completely irrelevent to our lives. Why do they insist on pouring it out of my TV 24/7?

It's the reverse of the Monkees.

The Monkees were the beginning of the end--the sad moment when record labels realized they could make up a "band" out of whole cloth and then grab the cash with a forklift. They didn't have to spend a lot of time trying to find talented people who had youth and charisma. Now we have Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson. Ugh.

O.J. played the same role for the rest of the media. Now they know they don't need to create their own product. They can just grab events--no matter how scandalous and ephemeral--and give them ruthless blanket coverage. If I didn't already think our justice system was a wreck, I'd be even more outraged.